With the outbreak of coronavirus in China, many questions arouse if the GP will actually happen in the designated period of time and if it’s even safe to host and attend the event. There have been some speculations about moving the race to another date, but many voices expressed that having the GP in a different point of the 2020 season does not seem possible. At the same time many different sporting events, including the Formula E E-Prix that was supposed to take place on March 21, were cancelled.
Despite this, Toto Wolff, the team boss of Mercedes F1 team said that for now, preparations for the Chinese GP that is supposed to take place on April 19th are continuing as normal.
Wollf said he “would very much hope that we go to China”, mentioning the fact his own visa preparations are continuing as normal as well. He additionally expressed that if in the end the event would not take place, would be a big disappointment, due to the growing popularity of F1 in China. As he said, "Not going would be a shame. We had full grandstands last year, it was sold out. China starts to become a really important market in terms of the fan followership, we have great activities in Shanghai around the race, and not going there would obviously not be great for the fans and ourselves”. He added that despite that, health is the most important and he hopes everything will get under control, regarding the situation with the outbreak.
The situation with the Chinese GP still remains unclear. Hopefully more information will be revealed soon and the final decision will be made, if the GP will take place in the designated time spot, if it will be moved or will in the end be cancelled, since the safety of the audiences, staff and drivers should always be a priority over anything else.