Charles Leclerc has become the fifth Formula One driver to test positive for COVID-19 after releasing a statement today to confirm he has it. He follows Lando Norris who confirmed earlier this month that he also picked up the virus whilst on a training camp in Dubai.
Sergio Perez (both Silverstone events), Lance Stroll (Eifel Grand Prix) and Lewis Hamilton (Sakhir Grand Prix) all missed races last year after contracting the virus during the 2020 season.
Leclerc said he had been in contact with a positive case and the subsequent test he took revealed he was positive.
“I want to let you know that I have tested positive for Covid-19,” wrote Leclerc on his social media channels.
“I am regularly checked according to my team’s protocols. Unfortunately, I learned that I have been in contact with a positive case and immediately went into self-isolation, notifying anyone I had contact with. A subsequent test I took has come back positive.
“I am feeling okay and have mild symptoms. I will remain in isolation in my home in Monaco in compliance with the regulations set by the local health authorities.”
Ferrari confirmed that Leclerc has been tested regularly, as per their protocols; they added his test yesterday confirmed that he was positive.
“Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow driver Charles Leclerc has tested positive for Covid-19,” said the team in a statement.
“In accordance with the team’s protocols, Charles is tested regularly and yesterday, the result from his latest test came back positive.”
“Charles notified us immediately and has informed everyone he has been in close contact with in the last few days. He is currently feeling okay with mild symptoms and is now self-isolating at home in Monaco.”
Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow driver Charles Leclerc has tested positive for COVID-19.— Scuderia Ferrari (@ScuderiaFerrari) January 14, 2021
In accordance with the team’s protocols, Charles is tested regularly and yesterday, the result from his latest test came back positive. [1/2]