Ferrari have become the latest team to fire up their 2021 challenger. The SF21 was fired up at Maranello at 9 am this morning as the Italian team gets ready for a new campaign with Charles Leclerc and new driver Carlos Sainz.
2020 was a nightmare of a season for the Italian giants as they languished in the midfield after agreeing a private settlement with the FIA before the season starts. The result of that saw them lose a lot of power and they were found wanting at power-sensitive tracks.
They obtained just three podiums across the seventeen events last season as they finished a very disappointing P6 in the Constructors’ Championship, with Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel ending up P8 and P13 in the Drivers’ Championship respectively.
Mattia Binotto says the team is ‘’determined to do better’’ in 2021 after such a disappointing 2020. Ferrari stated late last year that this year’s power unit will be a completely new design as they look to catch up in the horsepower stakes.
“Our 2021 season starts here,” said Binotto to the team ahead of the first fire-up. “We can expect plenty of challenges along the way and we are determined to do better.
“The car has been improved in all areas where developments are permitted,” added Binotto. “We must work in a determined and focused way, aware of where we were and where we want to go.”
Ferrari also confirmed two dates for separate online launches: the team one will be on the 26th of February, with the unveiling of the SF21 to come on the 10th of March. Pre-season testing in Bahrain begins on the 12th of next month.
Ayayayayaaaayyyaaayaaa 😍🤪🤩— Carlos Sainz (@Carlossainz55) February 12, 2021
Yes, I’m excited. Are you? https://t.co/bnQiEQ88Sm