Formula 1 has announced an agreement with Chinese Grand Prix promoter Juss Sports that will see the sport return to the Shanghai International Circuit until at least 2025.
After hosting their first event in 2004, China had the privilege of holding the 1000th Grand Prix back in 2019.
However, due to the pandemic that started in March of 2020, F1 has been unable to visit China last year and this year. It was confirmed last month that the 2022 edition was not going ahead because of the ongoing pandemic.
In a statement, Formula 1 said: ''We are grateful to the Federation of Automobile and Motorcycle Sports of People’s Republic of China (CAMF), the Shanghai Administration of Sports and the Chinese Grand Prix Promoter, Juss Sports Group for their ongoing engagement and collaboration. The Chinese Grand Prix has been a very important part of the Formula 1 calendar since 2004 and will continue to be into the future.''
Stefano Domenicali, President and CEO of Formula 1, said:
“This is great news for all of our fans in China and we are delighted to announce this agreement that will see us racing in Shanghai until 2025. Our partnership with the promoter Juss Sports is incredibly strong and we look forward to continuing our long-term partnership. While we are all disappointed we could not include China on the 2022 calendar due to ongoing pandemic conditions, China will be restored to the calendar as soon as conditions allow and we look forward to being back with the fans as soon as we can.”
How insane were these overtakes @danielricciardo made on his way to winning the 2018 Chinese Grand Prix? 🤯— Formula 1 (@F1) November 6, 2021
China, we can't wait to be back for more racing soon! 🙌#ChineseGP 🇨🇳 #F1 pic.twitter.com/ICdedXUGfr