Following the introduction of three sprint races last year, it has been now agreed that six sprint events will take place in 2023.
The plan had already been to have six in 2022, but it failed to get the necessary support at the time.
The venues for next year's sprint weekends are still to be decided.
In terms of venue in 2021, it was Silverstone, Monza and Brazil. This year it is Imola, Austria and Brazil.
Max Verstappen has won three of the five sprints, with Valtteri Bottas the victor in the other two.
It was announced recently that MotoGP will hold a sprint race at every single round from 2023 onwards. Time will tell if F1 does the same in the future.
Formula 1 President and CEO Stefano Domenicali said:
“I am pleased that we can confirm six Sprints will be part of the Championship from 2023 onwards, building on the success of the new format introduced for the first time in 2021. The Sprint provides action across three days with the drivers all fighting for something right from the start on Friday through to the main event on Sunday, adding more drama and excitement to the weekend. The feedback from the fans, teams, promoters, and partners has been very positive and the format is adding a new dimension to Formula 1, and we all want to ensure its success in the future.”
FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem said:
“The confirmation that six race weekends featuring Sprint will take place from the 2023 FIA Formula One World Championship season onwards is another example of the continued growth and prosperity at the highest level of motor sport. Thanks to close collaboration with Stefano Domenicali and our colleagues at FOM, we concluded a thorough analysis on the impact of additional Sprint sessions and have adjusted relevant parameters of our work to ensure that they continue to be regulated at the very highest level. Sprint sessions provide an exciting dynamic to the race weekend format and have proven to be popular over the past two seasons – I am sure that this positive trend will continue and am pleased that the World Motor Sport Council has today given its approval for them to go ahead.”